Top 7 Hobbies To Enhance Your Kids Cognitive Development ( 6- 12 yrs)
Kids are born with a natural and primal interest in everything. However; depending on genetics and general nature patterns, they are bound to find certain activities more interesting than others. As such, the reason they behind the liking for certain hobbies; hence responsible for kids cognitive development.
For little kids is a great way to keep them focused and busy. In fact, good hobbies have shown heightened academic acumen, as well as general knowledge level.
Why Your Kids Need Hobbies?
Hobbies benefit children in numerous ways. Because they are expressions of personal accomplishment and a means of self-discovery, hobbies help build self-esteem.
With all the time spent watching television and playing video games, many of today’s children have never experienced the rewards of a hobby.
Hobbies are educational tools, as well. For example, a child who becomes interested in rocketry — one of the most popular hobbies, by the way — learns about propulsion and aerodynamics. By working on hobbies, children learn to set goals, make decisions, and solve all sorts of problems. Finally, hobbies often mature into lifelong interests, even careers.
You Need To Understand Your Kid
- It is not about your kids cognitive development but; parents must talk to the kids at all times, and question and understand the things that influence their kids.
- Most of the parents, at times, see their personal unaccomplished interests through their children and become distressed when the kids are passive towards it. You should respect the individuality of kids, and support and appreciate them righteously in all their interests.
- Read onwards to know how you can encourage your child to take on something they like.
- Observe the child’s interests and give them options as to what they can pursue.
- Try to match their liking to their interest levels. For example, if your child is into gourmet TV channels, then probably ask them if they can help you in the kitchen.
- Provide them with required room and tools: Once you have had a rough idea of what they like, provide them with space and the necessary equipment related to their hobbies.
- You can look out for opportunities, like at the start of a new school year when various clubs and organizations start up their activities.
- Be supportive of their hobby even it seems out of the ordinary to you. Your child might be interested in something that you don’t understand. In such a case, do not discourage them. Talk to them about it, so you both are on the same page.
- Be very careful to not get carried away in pushing your children into hobbies that are your interests.
- Always respect their changing interests: It is too early for a child to decide what they enjoy doing the most. There may be phases; they start out with painting as a hobby, then might move to studying astronomy. This shift in interest needs to be acknowledged and respected.
- Never undermine even their smallest of achievements.
Healthy Hobby Ideas For Kids Cognitive Development
1.Interest In Music
Perhaps one of the most interesting hobbies where the kid feels free to learn to grasp to what he/she feels like. It is one of the most effective kids cognitive development hobby which will add a talent to his kitty and also add a great deal of confidence to his personality.
Music has its way of calming down an individual; hence, this hobby will help reduce the aggressiveness in the kid and give him something to do in his free time. Music in itself is enticing enough to teach him focus, concentration and determination.
Creative games like Lego and Mechanix unleash the technical creativity in a child and is a fascinating hobby. They can also experiment with making makeshift models of buildings, ships, planes and vehicles.
This ancient Japanese craft reflects patience and is a great way to hone the child’s skills in design and engineering paper crafts. A little complicated at first, Origami is very catchy and grows on you.
These hobbies will require them to be by themselves for some time. Parents need to bear in mind that, they will need their space to get better at this skill.
4.Pencil Sketching – Drawing Tracing
Encourage them to take a sketchbook out with a plain pencil and sketch what they can see to learn about perspective and to spot details when your kids cognitive development through this hobby.
Younger children can learn a lot about art through tracing. They can start off with their favourite story books and then when they are confident tracing the characters they can attempt some original art.
5.Foreign Coin Collecting
Every time you or a friend or relative goes on holiday abroad ask them to bring back some loose change. It won’t take long for your child to build up a collection of interesting coins. Encourage them to learn the names for each currency and look up where it comes from on a map.
A penny coin collection is a very accessible, low cost hobby for children. See how many different types they can find with different years of issue and design they can find. Coin collection has been proved to be one of the favorite hobbies in kids furthermore; enhancing kids cognitive development.
6. Reading Hobby
Reading is a must for all age groups. The hobby is often viewed as monotonous, but what one needs to understand is that reading is a learning experience and is a major factor in shaping your child’s life. Instill the habit of reading in your children at an early age and they will thank you for it eventually.
There are plenty of books that can cater to the child’s varied interests. If disinterested at first, give them books with a lot of graphical representations.
7.Crochet, Quilting and Knitting
Crochet can keep your child busy for long. Kids can start with easy crochet patterns, wearable items like scarfs, hats, bags, blankets, and cute animals. They can also use these handmade creations for gifting purposes.
Knitting is a popular craft among kids. Beginners can take the help of online journals and blogs to learn knitting. If your kid is fond of sewing, he may like to take up quilting as a hobby. Quilting is a brilliant way to creatively use the extra bits of fabric to design quilts, blankets, pot holders, and small pillow.
Stay tuned for FitaCon’s next event which focuses on health, nutrition, and fitness for kids.
FitaCon upcoming event focuses on ” Health, Nutrition and Fitness For Kids” hence it will be the best of amalgamation of doctors and certified professionals from respective arena offering various tips, guidance and suggestions on health, nutrition and fitness for kids.
Connect with us
Get connected within 24 hours to pre-screened, trustworthy and small business friendly service providers for Services in top Indian cities